Monday, January 17, 2011

House for Sale...AND, Sister for Sale

Almost 6 1/2 years ago I bought a very cheap house in my hometown and it has been a good little house to me, a friend, and now my sister. When I bought the house, it allowed me to live cheaply but also while investing in my future by paying a mortgage to myself....well, eventually, when I knew I'd resell it. After 2 years, I moved to Indiana and my friend moved in by herself. She took great care of the house and things were good. Fast forward two more years and my friend purchased her house. I kind of freaked out about paying the mortgage and my rent here, but my sister wanted to move in. I never ever thought or planned on leasing to a family member because I know how that goes...I've heard WAAAAAY to many stories about how it goes sour and families break from it. But, ya know, I needed the money to pay that mortgage and protect myself. My sister and her two kids moved in and things were fine. Then, her b/f was staying there, with his two kids visiting overnight more than half of every week. During this time, I visited only to see an ugly 70's couch just chilling in the driveway, toys everywhere, a trampoline that is 1/2 broken in the yard, 2 big black dogs in the dog run which was now all mud and feces, and plenty of other trashy things in view. It was pretty devastating and embarrassing.

Fast forward again...b/f has moved out because he grabbed, pushed, and held a knife to my sister's neck (nice, huh) and she filed a restraining order against him. Ok, he and his kids were gone. Oh, did I mention...this is only a 985 sq. ft, 2 bedroom house built in 1915? Yep. And all of these people were living there. And 1 bathroom. Yikes. So, anyway, sister pays rent late every month, and one month couldn't pay it all....the same month I told her to take off $40 for a birthday present. SIGH.....so, she's late and I never EVER make her pay a late fee, I just do it. I charge her enough to cover the mortgage/escrow and home warranty payment. That's it. But whatever, I don't need to MAKE money off of her, but I just want to cover the minimum. So, OH YES, how could I forget?!?! When she moved in she asked if I could keep the power in my name because she owes $2000 in her name....yes, that's what I said...I didn't add an extra "0." I did not want to and I was not going to do it...I work hard to keep my credit in good standing so I'm not about to ruin it for my older sister with 2 kids who can't be responsible enough to pay her s%#t. Well, my mom said "please do this....if it gets out of hand I will help only because you are helping her." My mom has already helped, paying half of a $1000 bill. The bill is still high and as of January 31st, we had a deal to turn off the power in my name and she needs to figure it out. She agreed and said she'd pay with taxes. So, I remind her last week and of course she "can't" because she wrecked her new b/f's truck and needs to pay for that.

I don't know what to do. If I turn it off then I'm basically turning it off on my nieces, too. Also, I'll still have the balance in my name. My mom said "I'll help you" I said "ME???? It's not mine!" I appreciate her willingness to help but my sister is 35 and a mother of 2, where is her responsibility in this??? If we pay it it only shows her she can do this dumb stuff and keep escaping the punishment. Her b/f bought her paint and stuff to freshen up the house and do her own thing. I offered to help because I want the house ready to sell in the spring. I drove home Friday after work, told her I was ready for Saturday's paint party, and she said ok. That night, at 10 til midnight, as I slept, she sent me a text that she wouldn't be ready to paint so we couldn't do it. Also, her facebook status said 2 things that night "Can't wait for the weekend with my man!" and then "Date night!" I'm over it....what do I do? Please offer real suggestions...not "kick her out!" because what will I do for the mortgage?! :(

1 comment:

  1. First of all this sucks! Second, you are right...everyone needs to quit bailing her out because the more people do, the less responsibility she will have. Third, I say you give her 30-45 days, with a list of all items you need taken care of. Also maybe give your mom this list (not to do FOR her, but to ensure its taken care of), and plan on having it on the market in that time. February/March is a great time to list a home normally. And it will be much better and easier for you to sell your home empty than with all of those folks living in it. Just my two cents! Sorry you are going through this!!

    ReplyDelete