Monday, May 17, 2010

Shouldn't a "deposit" be called a "down payment"?

I mean, really....every apartment I've EVER inhabited has required a deposit, which insinuates you will "get it back" at some point in time. NOT SO MUCH. I mean, have I ever gotten one back? A deposit for a locker at King's Island is a quarter or maybe 10 by now (inflation!!), and that's just so you have a key to a locker. A deposit for a loaner cart at Aldi is a quarter and that's so they won't have to hire a cart guy (or girl!), which is GENIUS, I tell ya, and you STILL GET THE QUARTER BACK. And a deposit for an apartment shouldn't be any different. I mean, coming up with two months' rent if the said apartment is $1000 is kinda ridiculous. (For me, at least). Anyway, I think this is the ridiculous part...

The landlord expects you to clean the apartment upon departure, HOWEVER, they hire these cleaning people for apparently $1000 an hour (cost of deposit!) to come clean the moment you leave. So, why did I just take 4 hours to clean it in HOPES of getting my "deposit" of $1000 back?? I know, it's also in case you bail on the last month's rent, but I've never bailed, so why don't I win the deposit lottery at the end of my lease? It's something to ponder...

No comments:

Post a Comment