Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I now see the "reason" this was meant to be

You all are well aware of the saying "everything happens for a reason", but usually, we don't know what the reason is. And, sometimes we never really do. I recently discovered the reason why many things have happened in my career the past few years the way they did. About a year ago, I was asked by a friend's cousin to join a board for a local not for profit arts organization. I accepted, but knew nothing about the organization so I rightly so felt awkward being on a board of "directors". I've learned about it, attended meetings, and different events. At the first event, I met several people but saw another art teacher from my school district who is basically a celebrity in our district and the arts world. I introduced myself and he instantly loved that I was from our school district and sitting on the board. I found out he sat on the same board and was still very supportive of this organization and he was proud to have me represent our school district.

We talked all night, got a picture taken together at the gala, and he introduced me to everyone. Wait a second, PAUSE, and let me back up. The reason I applied for the district in which I work is because my childhood best friend was already working there and told me about an opening. Upon my hiring, I was required to enroll in GCL classes (umm, GCL stands FOR NOTHING! Seriously, it's an acronym with no meaning...what?!). One of the 3 instructors was an art teacher at the high school. We obviously clicked with our subject areas, and we built a friendship upon that initial click. Ok, back to this summer...

So, the organization's president retired and they threw him a retirement party at a local restaurant. I attended and spoke with Larry (the celebrity guy from the 1st paragraph) for a lengthy amount of time about his plans for retirement in the next few years. He laid out his plans, and I mentioned that I'd love to learn from him in these next few years, then apply for the opening his retirement will create. He thought it was a grand plan and then he left. That was the last time I spoke to him because in just a short week or two, Larry collapsed at church and passed away.

As I found out this devastating news, I thought "now what?!" I couldn't help but think that I wasn't going to have the time with Larry to learn from his greatness in order to replace him upon retirement. My GCL friend and I had lunch after the funeral and such, and he told me he was asked to be department chair. I congratulated him, but knew all along he was the logical choice. We then generally discussed the department and the moving around of positions. He mentioned the opening to me in a very neutral way, basically informing me of what was going to happen. I then realized, I need to inquire about the open position. I thought long and hard and talked to several people. They all said the same thing "do it! Why not?" I wasn't ready to leave my family at my school, or all the things in which I was involved. Then I thought "why am I hesitating? If I apply and get the position, it was meant to be. If I apply and don't get the position, then I'm still where I was and no harm is done." So I applied....with the risk of hurting my administrator or offending her because it appeared I was seeking out a new position. No way...not the case.

I called her up, told her, she was very supportive. I applied, interviewed with flying colors (although, I don't really understand the foundation of that saying!), and was asked back for a 2nd interview, this time with the principal. I interviewed, and the first thing he saw was I went to University of Illinois. He was from Decatur. My family is there! We already had the bond. I was offered the position at the close of the interview. I gladly accepted. It all made sense. It all was clear when I sat back and thought about it. Every part of the process was leading me towards this job...the job I have wanted since before I began my certification.

And wait...after I accepted, my GCL friend told me when the excitement of the passing of Larry settled down, he thought "what are we going to do to fill this position!?" and I came to mind. He told the principal I was the one he wanted but didn't know if I'd apply. It was crazy to me to hear this because he never once seemed to be biased or encourage me to apply...we were just on the same brain wave and it just shows this was meant to be.

I'm very thankful I'm where I am professionally, and finally feel like a teacher who enjoys her job. It feels awesome to finally understand such a long process of events.

No comments:

Post a Comment